Home    Biography     Art Works     Blog     Research    Articles

 
'under a pump in the village of Swords' Ulysses James Joyce
 

Latest update: 24/8/2023 345 images

 



Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin
www.gaelart.net

Swords
Sord Cholmcille


County Dublin, Ireland

A Visual History

A Textual History

 


Swords / Sord Cholmcille: A Visual and Textual History is an illustrated history of Swords from the 1790s to the present day compiled from my collection of historical photos and engravings, my photos, and other sites.

It also contains published articles about Swords from the 1830s onwards. It is hoped it will be an invaluable aid to individuals, schools and academic institutions who are interested in Swords history and especially for the Irish diaspora who will remember the town from different periods in the past. (Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)

If you have any images from any era [photographs, drawings, etchings, old calendars etc] please let me know. Any material uploaded will be fully acknowledged. Contact me at caoimhghin@yahoo.com

This is an archival collection and not for profit, sale, advertisements or any other financial benefit on my part.
 


Origins of the name Swords

"The original word is properly written "Sord," or "Surd," which is interpreted "clear," or "pure," although in modern Irish the word so spelt bears the meaning of "order ... industry ... diligence." The w came into it after the settlement of the English, who wrote the name Swerds, though pronounced Swords, as the verb shew has the sound of show. This interpretation which I give you is from an ancient Life of St. Columbkille, preserved in a very venerable MS. of the Royal Irish Academy, of the fourteenth century. [...] it was the practice of the early founders of Christianity in these islands, when planting a church in any spot, to have special reference to the proximity of a well. [...] suffice it to say, that well-worship existed in the country before the introduction of Christianity, and that when the people were converted, like the transfer of pagan temples, these wells, with all their veneration, were made over to the aid of the new religion."

(A Lecture on the Antiquities of Swords by The Late Right Rev. William Reeves)

'Sord of Columcille' / 'Swrth Colomkelle' / 'Surdum Sti. Columbae' /
'Sordum' /
'Sord' / 'Soords' / 'Surd' / 'Suird' / 'Surds' / 'Sords' /
 'Swerts' / 'Swerds' / 'Swerdes' / 'Sweerdes' / 'Swordes' / 'Swords'


(See A Textual History for sources of these varied spellings)
 


Swords, north County Dublin, Ireland



 






"Figure 5: This drawing by Thomas Molyneux dates from 1725.
As is not uncommon with antiquarian drawings, the drawing depicts a smoother,
 idealised version of the monument. Here it appears far better
constructed than is the case in reality, especially regarding the upper storey."
See: https://theirishantiquarian.substack.com/p/swords-round-tower

See also for 1725 description from book: http://gaelart.net/swordshistory.html







Gabriel Beranger - Tower, Belfry and Church (1790s)
For more information see: http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000146447







Gabriel Beranger - Tower, Belfry and Church (1790s)
For more information see: http://discovery.dho.ie/navigation.php?navigation_function=2&navigation_item=ria_3+C+31/13







Tower, Belfry and Church. 'Published by T Hooper June 11th 1791 Engraved by Jas Newton'
for the The Antiquities of Ireland 1791







Tower and Belfry (c.1794)
For more information see: http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000147923







Swords Castle by Daniel Grose. 'Published by T Hooper August 9th 1791 Engraved by Jas Newton'
for the The Antiquities of Ireland 1791

 


 

Swords Castle, County Dublin, (?1790s)
George Holmes, Irish, fl.1789-1802
http://onlinecollection.nationalgallery.ie/view/objects/asitem/People$00401246/0?t:state:flow=d86afce3-edc7-4501-80a9-ed1a0bda9c46
For more information see Swords Castle Conservation Plan - Main Document







Gatehouse attributed to Daniel Grose
For more information see Swords Castle Conservation Plan - Main Document







Thomas Cromwell
- Excursions through Ireland, Vol. 2. Published: London, Longman 1820.







Thomas Cromwell - Excursions through Ireland, Vol. 2. Published: London, Longman 1820.

Tower, Belfry and Church. Engraved by R Acon from a drawing by J Greig for the Excursions through Ireland. Published August 1, 1819 by Longman and Co Paternoster Row

 





Swords Castle. Drawn on stone by D J Harding from a sketch by Robert O'Callaghan, Newenham Esq Printed by C Hullmandel








Swords Castle. Drawn by Geo Holmes Engraved by J and H S Storer Published by Sherwood, Jones and ... (1824)








George Petrie , 1789-1866 : The Round Tower, Belfry and Church, of Swords (1829)

London : Fisher, Son & Co., 1829. A print, originally produced for the part-work series "Ireland Illustrated" (London : 1829-1832). Engraved by Robert Brandard (1805-1862) from an original study by the Irish artist and archaeologist George Petrie R.H.A.







Tower, Belfry and Church (1832)
Taken from cover of The Dublin Penny Journal, Volume 1,
Number 23, December 1, 1832
(for text of article see: http://gaelart.net/swordshistory.html)







Round Tower and Church (1834)
The Mirror of Literature, Amusement and Instruction
No 689 December 27 1834







Tower, Belfry and Church. Mrs Hall Travels around Ireland (1843)







Swords Castle. Mrs Hall Travels around Ireland (1843)







 Tower and Belfry What's To Be Seen in Dublin (1872)







'North-east View, Church of St. Columba, Norman Tower, and Round Tower, Swords, A.D. 1887'
Fingal and its Churches - A Historical Sketch, by Robert Walsh, M. A., Dublin and London, 1888.







Glasmore Abbey (1887)







Tower, Belfry and Church (c.1900)
For more information see: http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls00022345







Tower, Belfry and Church (1902)
Cyclist and Pedestrian Guide Neighbourhood of Dublin R J Mecredy (Mecredy and Kyle, Dublin)







Round Tower, Swords, County Dublin c. 1903
https://www.rct.uk/collection/2600050/round-tower-swords-county-dublin





Tower, Belfry and Church (ca. 1890-1910)
Mason, Thomas Holmes, 1877-1958 photographer
In Collections: Mason Photographic Collection
http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000519607







Tower, Belfry and Church (ca. 1890-1910)
Mason, Thomas Holmes, 1877-1958 photographer
In Collections: Mason Photographic Collection
http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000519608







Tower (ca. 1890-1910)
Mason, Thomas Holmes, 1877-1958 photographer
In Collections: Mason Photographic Collection
http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000519609







Tower, Belfry and Church (c.1900)
For more information see: http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000230210







Tower, Belfry and Church (c.1900)
For more information see: http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000335462


 

Photo by William G.Fallon, photographer
http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000284426#page/1/mode/1up

 

 






Church (c.1900)
For more information see: http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000040795







Swords main street (c.1900)
For more information see: http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000040796







Swords Castle and Mill (c.1900)
For more information see: http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000316940







Swords Mill (c.1900)
For more information see: http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000316939


 

 



The Mill
(Paul Hughes)
 






Catholic Church (c.1900)
For more information see: http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000319600







Swords main street (c.1900)
For more information see: http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000316936







Swords main street (c.1900)
For more information see: http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000319596







Tower, Belfry and Church (c.1900)
For more information see: http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000335463







Church At Swords Co Dublin : 114 Years Old Antique Print (1898)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moonlizard-Church-At-Swords-Dublin/dp/B00AAROZ5E








Swords main street (c.1900)
For more information see: http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000316937







Swords Castle (early 1900s)
Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland
See: https://rsai.locloudhosting.net/





Swords Castle (early 1900s)
Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland
See: https://rsai.locloudhosting.net/






Swords Castle (early 1900s)
Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland
See: https://rsai.locloudhosting.net/






Swords Castle (early 1900s)
Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland
See: https://rsai.locloudhosting.net/







Swords Castle (c.1900)
For more information see: http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000319599







Swords Castle (c.1900) (Val 58182)
For more information see: http://catalogue.nli.ie/



 

Photo by William G.Fallon, photographer
http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000284426#page/1/mode/1up



 

Glasmore Abbey
Photograph by A. Harris, photographer
http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000284039#page/1/mode/1up




 

Photograph by A. Harris, photographer
http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000284039#page/1/mode/1up



 

Robert Welch Album
http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000536128#page/57/mode/1up

 





Swords main street (c.1900)
For more information see: http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000316938







Swords main street (c.1900)
For more information contact: Joe Curtis (http://www.balbriggan.net/contactus.htm)







North Street, Swords (c. 1900)
For more information see: http://homepage.eircom.net/~swordsourtown/local_history/local_history.htm







Swords main street (1904)
from The Neighbourhood of Dublin: Its Topography, Antiquities, and Historical Associations
by Weston St. John Joyce (Dublin: M H Gill and Son, Ltd, 1921)







Tower, Belfry and Church (c.1900) (Val 58181)
For more information see: http://catalogue.nli.ie/







Swords Tower, Belfry and Church (c.1900)
For more information contact: Joe Curtis (http://www.balbriggan.net/contactus.htm)







Swords Tower, Belfry and Church (c.1900)
For more information contact: Fingal Raparee Fadů Fadů: Irish Memory
http://irishmemory.blogspot.ie/2013/02/a-history-tour-of-swords-1921.html







Main Street, Swords
For more information contact: Joe Curtis (http://www.balbriggan.net/contactus.htm)







Tower, Belfry and Church (c.1900)
For more information see: http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000319597







Tower, Belfry and Church (c.1900)
For more information contact: Joe Curtis (http://www.balbriggan.net/contactus.htm)








Church and Towers, Swords
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/irish-postcard-ireland-dublin-swords-church-and-tower-/401017941297?hash=item5d5e882d31:g:J3oAAOSwhcJWGtms









Towers from the east, Swords
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Ireland-Towers-from-East-Swords-Dublin-Old-Real-Photo-Postcard-Clock-Round-Tower-/381517765173?hash=item58d43b1a35:g:gu4AAOSwX~dWlNQ7



 



Swords Sord Cholmcille A Textual History
Historical texts relating to Swords, County Dublin from the 6th century to today.
 







Feltrim Hill, Swords (demolished)
For more information see: http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000319601







The Taylors & Swords House (c. 1900) (demolished, now site of Fingal County Council)
For more information see: http://homepage.eircom.net/~swordsourtown/local_history/local_history.htm







Swords Castle, Swords
See Bernadette Marks:
https://www.facebook.com/berni.swordsmuseum?fref=ts







Swords main street (c.1900)
For more information see: http://www.swordsheritage.com/







Price's Shop, Swords (1912)
See Bernadette Marks:
https://www.facebook.com/berni.swordsmuseum?fref=ts








Old Borough School, Main Street, Swords (c.1900)
For more information contact: Joe Curtis (http://www.balbriggan.net/contactus.htm)







Early's Hotel, Main St. Swords. Later Taylor's Hardware.
For more information see: http://www.swordsheritage.com/







The Star Pub, Main St., Swords burned (1920s)
For more information see: http://homepage.eircom.net/~swordsourtown/local_history/local_history.htm


 

Coolbanagher (1925)
Thanks to Dave Molloy
['Swords Photographed past and present' group on Facebook]






The Irish Times 23 April 1929







The Star Pub, Main St., Swords (1934)
For more information contact: Joe Curtis (http://www.balbriggan.net/contactus.htm)







Swords Castle (1934)
On a sunny day in June 1934 an inspector from the National Monuments Service was surveying Swords Castle, a national monument in the ownership of Fingal Co. Co. (SMR DU011-034001-).
https://www.facebook.com/pages/National-Monuments-Service-Archaeology/563478597003852







Swords Castle (1934)
On a sunny day in June 1934 an inspector from the National Monuments Service was surveying Swords Castle, a national monument in the ownership of Fingal Co. Co. (SMR DU011-034001-).
https://www.facebook.com/pages/National-Monuments-Service-Archaeology/563478597003852







Swords Castle (1934)
On a sunny day in June 1934 an inspector from the National Monuments Service was surveying Swords Castle, a national monument in the ownership of Fingal Co. Co. (SMR DU011-034001-).
https://www.facebook.com/pages/National-Monuments-Service-Archaeology/563478597003852







Swords Castle (1934)
On a sunny day in June 1934 an inspector from the National Monuments Service was surveying Swords Castle, a national monument in the ownership of Fingal Co. Co. (SMR DU011-034001-).
https://www.facebook.com/pages/National-Monuments-Service-Archaeology/563478597003852







Board of Health houses, Main Street, Swords (1934)
For more information contact: Joe Curtis (http://www.balbriggan.net/contactus.htm)







Confirmation, St Colmcille's Church, Swords (1930s)
See Bernadette Marks:
https://www.facebook.com/search/str/Berni%20Swordsmuseum/keywords_top







The Irish Times 25 March 1936







Swords Main Street c1940s
See Bernadette Marks:
https://www.facebook.com/berni.swordsmuseum?fref=ts







North Street, Swords (Harp Bar on the left)
For more information see: http://www.swordsheritage.com/







North Street and Seatown Road. Mary Ryan's shop before that.
Mr. Weston fixed and sold TVs (demolished) (1947/8)
For more information see: http://www.swordsheritage.com/

 



Swords Sord Cholmcille A Textual History
Historical texts relating to Swords, County Dublin from the 6th century to today.
 








Fingal Harriers at Swords Castle (1943)
For more information see: http://www.swordsheritage.com/





From Brian Beggan





Nurse's Hill - Outside J C Savage house at the Watery Lane junction.
See Bernadette Marks:

https://www.facebook.com/berni.swordsmuseum







'The Big Tree' Pub -now the Estuary -
also the 'Big Tree' in the middle of the road, which was removed (c 1940s)
See Bernadette Marks:
https://www.facebook.com/berni.swordsmuseum?fref=ts







Central Bar (c. 1940s)
(Old Borough National School, Swords)







Swords Main Street (1940s?)
(Sylvia Maxwell)







Anthony O'Keefe Bar (c. 1950) Later Ryan's (demolished)
(Old Borough National School, Swords)






North Street, Swords (c.1950)
For more information see: http://www.swordsheritage.com/







Main Street, Swords (1950)
(Old Borough National School, Swords - Calendar 2008)
For more information see:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Swords-Past-and-Present/144951462229109







Playing handball at the Lord Mayor's (formerly O'Toole's) Pub, Swords (1950s)
For more information see:
http://www.irishhandballalley.com/2011/02/i-was-first-told-that-there-was-alley.html







Belfry (1960s)
For more information see: http://www.tara.tcd.ie/jspui/handle/2262/12016







Swords Castle (1960s)
For more information see: http://www.tara.tcd.ie/jspui/handle/2262/12015







The Irish Times 22 October 1964







Swords Castle (1940-60s)
For more information see Swords Castle Conservation Plan - Main Document







Bridge Street, Swords
See Bernadette Marks:
https://www.facebook.com/berni.swordsmuseum?fref=ts







Round tower, Belfry and church (1969)
O'Dea, James P. 1910-1992 photographer
In Collections: O'Dea Photograph Collection
http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000307662







Round tower, Belfry and church (1960s) (Photo: Veronica Cryan)







St Columba's Rise, Swords (1967) (Photo: Veronica Cryan)
[L to R: Kevin Cryan, Kevin Power, Karen Cryan, Frank Bermingham, anon]







St Columba's Rise, Swords (1960s) (Photo: Power Collection)
[L to R: anon, Elizabeth Meenan, Kevin Cryan, Paddy Power, Kevin Power
(Elizabeth Meenan's grandmother, Mrs Meenan, getting out of Volkswagon Beetle)]







Pageant (re-enacting the elopement of Mable Bagnall) in Swords Castle (1970)
For more information see: http://www.swordsheritage.com/







Swords Festival, outside Clarke's (1970s)
(Old Borough National School, Swords - Calendar 2008)
For more information see: http://www.swordsheritage.com/







Hortex Factory
Parade in Swords 1970s - marching down to Fingallians (1970s)
See Bernadette Marks:
https://www.facebook.com/berni.swordsmuseum?fref=ts







Hector Bray Cinema Swords (1970s)
(Niall McNeill)







Painting the fence around the Hector Bray Cinema Swords (now Penny's)
Photo from Paudie Murphy (c.1970s) (demolished)
For more information see:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Swords-Past-and-Present/144951462229109







The Pound (1972) (Old Borough National School, Swords - Calendar 2008)
(Photo: Jack and David McGrane)







Round Tower, Swords (1976) (Patrick Healy Collection)
For more information contact:
http://source.southdublinlibraries.ie/handle/10599/2534

 



Swords Sord Cholmcille A Textual History
Historical texts relating to Swords, County Dublin from the 6th century to today.
 







Main Street, Swords (1976) (Patrick Healy Collection)
For more information see: http://source.southdublinlibraries.ie/handle/10599/2780







Mr Mongey at Mongey's petrol station, Main St, Swords (1970s)







Mr Mongey at Mongey's petrol station, Main St, Swords (1970s)
(Dermot Browne)







Swords Castle, Flea na Bpaisti (1970s) (Photos: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Swords Castle, Flea na Bpaisti (1970s) (Photos: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Swords Castle, Flea na Bpaisti (1970s) (Photos: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Swords Castle, Flea na Bpaisti (1970s) (Photos: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







North St, Swords (the shop on the right hand corner was Julia Weston's) (1970s)
For more information see:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Swords-Past-and-Present/144951462229109







The Taylors & Swords House (1976) (demolished now site of Fingal County Council)
Photo: Patrick Healy
For more information see: http://source.southdublinlibraries.ie/handle/10599/1429







O'Toole's Bar (1970s) (Old Borough National School, Swords - Calendar 2010)
(Photo: Peadar Grogan)







Old Borough National School, Swords
Photo: Patrick Healy
For more information see: http://source.southdublinlibraries.ie/handle/10599/3634







Brackenstown House, Swords
Photo: Patrick Healy
For more information see: http://source.southdublinlibraries.ie/handle/10599/2470







Paddy Lennox
Larkins garage / Billies hairdresser.







Main Street In 1971
(Paul Hughes)







Sword Castle. Photo - Bernadette Marks (1979)
(Old Borough National School, Swords - Calendar 2008)
For more information see: http://www.swordsheritage.com/







Hortex Factory (1980s)
"Factory in background now Carlton Court - pics taken at Colaiste Choilm."
See Bernadette Marks:
https://www.facebook.com/berni.swordsmuseum







The Irish Times 29 August 1981







Round Tower Swords (1981) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Belfry, Swords (1981) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Barracks, Church Road, Swords (1970s) (demolished) (Dyes F. G. Anderson Chemicals)
For more information contact: Joe Curtis (http://www.balbriggan.net/contactus.htm)







Barracks, Church Road, Swords (1980s) (demolished) (Dyes F. G. Anderson Chemicals)
For more information see: http://www.swordsheritage.com/







River by old mill (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Cottage facing castle (demolished) (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Swords Castle (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Swords Castle (1980s) Chapel facade.
For more information see Swords Castle Conservation Plan - Main Document







Swords Castle (1987) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Swords Castle (1987) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Swords Castle (1987) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







North Street, Swords (1987) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







The Pound and Swords Castle (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Swords Castle (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Swords Castle, Constable's Tower (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Constable's Tower, Swords Castle (1980s) External view
(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Swords Castle [North wall] (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







North Street (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







North Street (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







North Street (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Swords Castle (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Swords Castle (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Swords Castle (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Swords Castle (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Swords Castle (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Swords Castle (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Swords Castle (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Swords Castle with Tower and Belfry (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Swords Castle (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Constable's Tower, Swords Castle (1980s) Internal view (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Constable's Tower, Swords Castle (1980s) through arch (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)








Old Schoolhouse, Coolbanagher, Church Road, Swords, was built in 1846,
became restaurant in 1982 (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)








Swords Park, Main Street, Swords (1980s) (now site of Fingal County Council)
(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Catholic Church (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Catholic Church (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Main Street, Swords (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Swords Hardware (1980s) (Old Borough National School, Swords - Calendar 2008)
(Photo: John Taylor)







Savage's Supermarket (1980s)
(Old Borough National School, Swords - Calendar 2008)
(Photo: Ted McLoughlin)







Fitzgerald's, Main Street, Swords (1980s)
(Mary Weldon)







Mrs Fitzgerald, Fitzgerald's, Main Street, Swords (1980s)
(Mary Weldon)







The Gut (demolished) (1980s) (Photo: Mongey Collection)







The Gut (demolished) (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Texaco Garage (1980s) (Old Borough National School, Swords - Calendar 2010)
(Photo: Michael Kavanagh)





Constable's Tower
(Paul Hughes)



 

The Acorn
(Niall Mac Neill)



 

(Niall Mac Neill)







Carnegie Library, North St., Swords. Built in 1908 by a local committee with a grant from the Carnegie Trust
For more information see: http://www.swordsheritage.com/







Old Boro, Main Street (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







The Harp Inn (1980s) (demolished)
(Old Borough National School, Swords - Calendar 2010)
(Photo: Ted McLoughlin)







Swords Park, Main Street, Swords (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Swords Park, Main Street, Swords (1980s) (now site of Fingal County Council)
For more information see: http://homepage.eircom.net/~swordsourtown/local_history/local_history.htm







Swords Park, Main Street, Swords (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)








Tower, Belfry and Church, Swords (1980s) (Photo: Veronica Cryan)







Tower, Belfry and Church, Swords (1980s) (Photo: Veronica Cryan)







Tower, Belfry and Church, Swords (1980s) (Photo: Veronica Cryan)







Lane between St Columba's Rise and Church Road (1990s)
(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Church Road (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







St Columba's Graveyard (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Courthouse, North Street, Swords (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)

 



Swords Sord Cholmcille A Textual History
Historical texts relating to Swords, County Dublin from the 6th century to today.
 







The Gut, off Malahide Road (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







View from Malahide Road (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







View from Main Street, Swords (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)








Barracks (demolished) [Building on right] (1980s)
(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







The Old Vicarage, Church Road Swords built in the 17th century. The home of the local
Church of Ireland the Clergyman. The Old Vicarage is now an apartment block.
For more information see: http://www.swordsheritage.com/







Bridge (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Well, Well Road (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Well, Well Road (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Glasmore Abbey front (1980s) Lioscian, off St. Cronanís Avenue, Brackenstown Road, Swords
(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (See: http://gaelart.net/swordshistory.html for map)







Glasmore Abbey back (1980s) Lioscian, off St. Cronanís Avenue, Brackenstown Road, Swords
(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (See: http://gaelart.net/swordshistory.html for map)







Ancient cottage, Rathbeale Road (mud and wattle walls) (1980s)
(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Ancient cottage, Rathbeale Road (mud and wattle walls) (1980s)
(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Cottage, Church Road (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Pump, Rathbeale Road (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)






Pump, Rathbeale Road (1980s) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Main Street, Swords (1988)
(Niall McNeill)







John Hinde postcard (1990s)

 





Church, Swords (1991) (Photo: Brendan Scally)
http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000354510


 



Swords Sord Cholmcille A Textual History
Historical texts relating to Swords, County Dublin from the 6th century to today.
 








Swords Shoe Repairs (1992) (Old Borough National School, Swords - Calendar 2008)
(Photo: Ted McLoughlin)







Barracks, Church Road, Swords (1993) (demolished)
For more information see: http://www.swordsheritage.com/






Dublin Metropolitan Police Station (former), Church Road, SWORDS GLEBE
(Christy Russell)







Peter Galvin Hardware (1990s)
(Old Borough National School, Swords)







Superquinn, Main St., Swords (1993) (demolished) Now the Pavilions Swords Shopping Centre
For more information see: http://www.swordsheritage.com/







ColŠiste Choilm, Swords (demolished) (1999) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







ColŠiste Choilm, Swords (demolished) (1999) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







ColŠiste Choilm, Swords (demolished) (1999) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







ColŠiste Choilm, Swords (demolished) (1999) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







ColŠiste Choilm, Swords (demolished) (1999) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







The Old Borough National School (under construction), Swords (2000) (Photo: Veronica Cryan)







The Old Borough National School (under construction), Swords (2000) (Photo: Veronica Cryan)







The Old Borough National School (under construction), Swords (2000) (Photo: Veronica Cryan)







The Old Borough National School, Swords (2001)
(Old Borough National School, Swords - Calendar 2008)
(Photo: Principal Anne-Marie Woods)







Pump beside the Lord Mayor's, Main St., Swords (2000s)
For more information see: http://homepage.eircom.net/~swordsourtown/local_history/local_history.htm







Church Road, Swords (2005) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Tower, Belfry and Church (2000s) (Photo: Veronica Cryan)







Tower, Belfry and Church (2000s) (Photo: Veronica Cryan)







Ryans Pub, Main Street (demolished) (2005) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Swords Castle, Festival (September 2005) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Swords Castle, Festival (September 2005) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Swords Castle, Festival (September 2005) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Cottage, Malahide Road (Demolished) (2005) (Photo: Veronica Cryan)







Church Road passage to Columba's Rise (2005) (Photo: Veronica Cryan)







Chapel Lane, Swords (2005) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







St. Colmcille's B.N.S., Chapel Lane, Swords (2005) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







St. Colmcille's B.N.S., Chapel Lane, Swords (2006) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)






St. Colmcille's B.N.S., Chapel Lane, Swords (2006) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Principal James Bennett, St. Colmcille's B.N.S., Chapel Lane, Swords (2006)
(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







St. Colmcille's B.N.S., Chapel Lane, Swords (2006) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Old Borough National School (2006) (Photo: Veronica Cryan)







Old Borough National School (2006) (Photo: Veronica Cryan)







Church Road (2006) (Photo: Veronica Cryan)







Church Road (2006) (Photo: Veronica Cryan)







Swords Castle Shopping Centre, Rathbeale Road (2006) (Photo: Veronica Cryan)







Tower, Belfry and Church (2000s) (Photo: Veronica Cryan)







Church Road, Swords (2000s)
(Donal Cassidy)







Sexton's House, 26 Church Road, Swords (2006) (Photo: Veronica Cryan)







Forster Way, Swords (2006) (Photo: Veronica Cryan)







Forster Way, Swords (2006) (Photo: Veronica Cryan)







Forster Way, Swords (2006) (Photo: Veronica Cryan)







Senior Citizen's Centre, Forster Way, Swords (2006) (Photo: Veronica Cryan)







Weeping willow, Vicarage, Church Road, Swords (2008) (Photo: Veronica Cryan)







Vicarage, Church Road, Swords (2008) (Photo: Veronica Cryan)







Swords Castle (August 2009) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Well, Well Road (January 2013) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Swords Shoe Repairs (2013) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







The Old Boro, Main Street, Swords (2013) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)








Site of Swords Mill (2013) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Swords Courthouse, North St. (2013) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







The Old Vicarage, Church Road, Swords (2013) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Site of Barracks, Church Road, Swords (2013) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Swords Castle (August 2013) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Constable's Tower, Swords Castle (2013)  Internal view
 (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Tower, Belfry and Church (2013) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Glasmore Abbey (2013) Lioscian, off St. Cronanís Avenue, Brackenstown Road, Swords
(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (See: http://gaelart.net/swordshistory.html for map)







Youthreach, New Boro School, Oak Tree Lane, off North St, Swords
Former National School built in 1890 (2013) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Fingal County Council Swords Town Park, Bridge Street, Swords.
Pillars from Swords House, formerly on Main St (now Fingal County Hall)
(2013) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Swords Main Street (2013) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Old Schoolhouse Restaurant, Swords, was built in 1846, became restaurant in 1982
(2013) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Old Borough National School (2013) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Carnegie Library, North St., Swords. Built in 1908 by a local committee with a grant from the Carnegie Trust
For more information see: http://www.swordsheritage.com/
(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







The Star Pub, Main St., Swords (2013)
(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Teachersí Residences, North Street - built in 1890 (2013)
(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







The Lord Mayors, Main Street, Swords (2013)
(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Eddie Rocket's, Main Street, Swords (2013)
(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Tower, Belfry (2013)
(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Belfry and roof markings of early church knocked down in 1811(2013)
(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Cottage, Church Road, Swords (April 2015) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Peter Galvin Hardware, Main St, Swords (April 2015) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Apache Pizza, Malahide Road, Swords (April 2015) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Main St., Swords (April 2015) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Malahide Rd, Swords (April 2015) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Main St., Swords (April 2015) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Main St., Swords (April 2015) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Main St., Swords (April 2015) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Main St., Swords (April 2015) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Main St., Swords (April 2015) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Main St., Swords (April 2015) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Main St., Swords (April 2015) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Main St., Swords (April 2015) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







Main St., Swords (April 2015) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







St. Colmcille's Graveyard, Swords
Catholic Church FB







Big Tree in St. Colmcille's Graveyard, Swords (December 2015) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)

 According to Bernadette Marks, "Alas, the weather has damaged the tree, part of it has fallen down! The tree grew into the headstone of Careys from Baskin."
(See: https://www.facebook.com/berni.swordsmuseum)







RTE' s Prime Time broadcast from
Swords Castle Church on 16 -2 - 2016

 

 

 

Swords in the summer: Watery Lane towards Rathbeale Road.
(17 July 2016) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)

 

St Columba's Rise (17 July 2016) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)


 

Ruined cottage, Rathbeale Road (17 July 2016) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)



Shortts House
 (17 July 2016) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)
 



Shortts House
 (17 July 2016) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)




(June 2018) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)





(June 2018) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)





(June 2018) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)




 

(June 2018) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)





(June 2018) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)





(June 2018) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)





(June 2018) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)





Church Road
(June 2018) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)


 



 

 





Round Tower and Belfry from old Belfast road.
(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (2019)




(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (2019)

 

(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (2019)
 


 

(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (2019)
 





Newtown House c.1740 Balheary Road, Newtown, Swords
(Photo: Declan Power) (2020)

For more information and pics see: http://gaelart.net/swordshistory.html








 


 



 

 

Chapel



(17 July 2016) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)

 

 

Chapel Choir




First floor
(17 July 2016) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)



 

First floor
(17 July 2016) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)





Chamber Block




First floor
(17 July 2016) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)







First floor
(17 July 2016) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)





Second floor
(17 July 2016) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)
 


 

Constables Tower

First floor
(17 July 2016) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)

 

 

First floor
(17 July 2016) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)

 

 



Stairwell
(17 July 2016) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)

 

 

Second floor
(17 July 2016) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)

 

 

En suite toilet, Second floor
(17 July 2016) (Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin)


(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (2019)




(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (2019)



(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (2019)




(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (2019)



(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (2019)





(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (2019)




(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (2019)




(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (2019)



(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (2019)
 

 



(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (2019)



(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (2019)




(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (2019)




(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (2019)




(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (2022)







(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (2022)







(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (2022)







(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (2022)





Round Tower restoration 2022



Round Tower
(Photo: Tristan Hendrick) (2022)




 



Round Tower
(Photo: Tristan Hendrick) (2022)




 



Belfry
(Photo: Tristan Hendrick) (2022)



 

Round Tower
(Photo: Tristan Hendrick) (2022)

 

 




Old Jail (Front)
(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (2022)








Old Jail (Back)
(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (2022)








FairChoice Nursing Home
(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (2022)




 



Park opposite FairChoice Nursing Home
(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (2022)



 



Lord Mayors, Main Street
(Photo: Eric Wolfe) (2023)







Lord Mayors, Main Street and New Road
(Photo: Eric Wolfe) (2023)







Lord Mayors (car park and land on right side of road), New Road
(Photo: Eric Wolfe) (2023)





Swords Castle




Swords Castle renovation
(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (2023)





Swords Castle renovation
(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (2023)





Swords Castle renovation
(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (2023)





Swords Castle renovation
(Photo: Caoimhghin ” CroidheŠin) (2023)

 

A Textual History